Stunningly sexy with tropical flavors that are ultra refreshing. Watermelon and coconut rum cocktail reminds me of Chris de Burgh’s “The Lady In Red”.
The thing about watermelon is that you can’t be sure how red the flesh is until you’ve cut open the fruit. I was lucky to get such beautiful watermelon on the night I made this drink. I’ve replicated this watermelon and cocktail drink since but never have the colors been as virbrant. But, the color nothwithstanding, the drink is always a delight. So, don’t feel that your drink will be less good if the watermelon is a bit pale.
Watermelon and Coconut Rum CocktailRecipe by
- ½ watermelon (seedless, please!) well-chilled
- ¼ cup simple syrup or to taste
- juice of one lemon
- 3 to 4 generous splashes coconut rum
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh mint
- ice cubes to serve
- Scoop out the watermelon flesh and dice (you may want to reserve a few slices for garnish).
- Put the diced watermelon in the blender and process until completely pureed.
- Place a strainer over a deep bowl and pour the contents of the blender into the strainer.
- Leave for a few minutes to allow the watermelon juice to drip into the bowl.
- Pour back the strained watermelon juice into the blender.
- Add the simple syrup, lemon juice, coconut rum and about eight mint leaves.
- Pulse a few times to mix and chop the mint leaves.
- Put ice cubes into glasses, and pour in the watermelon and coconut rum cocktail.