Vanilla Streusel CupcakesBy
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups vanilla sugar
- 3 large whole eggs
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
For the streusel topping
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup vanilla sugar (see notes after the recipe)
- ¼ cup cold butter cut into very small cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Drop paper liners into the holes of a a 12-hole muffin pan.
Mix the batter
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and vanilla sugar until light and fluffy. DO NOT overmix: you will know you have overmixed if the butter solids separate from the fat.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition and making sure that the egg is fully incorporated in the mixture before adding the next one.
- Add the flour and milk in batches. Add a third of the flour first, mix; add half of the milk, mix; add the next third of the flour, mix; then the remaining milk and, finally, the rest of the flour.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide evenly among the holes of the pan.
Make the streusel topping
- Stir the sugar and flour.
- Add the butter and rub with your fingers until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly among the 12 cupcakes.
- Place the muffin pan on a baking tray.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- These vanilla streusel cupcakes are best served warm.