Vanilla Streusel CupcakesRecipe by
With their crunchy topping specked with real vanilla seeds, these vanilla streusel cupcakes are highly aromatic. Serve warm with coffee or tea, or your favorite cold drink.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Drop paper liners into the holes of a a 12-hole muffin pan.
Mix the batter
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and vanilla sugar until light and fluffy. DO NOT overmix: you will know you have overmixed if the butter solids separate from the fat.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition and making sure that the egg is fully incorporated in the mixture before adding the next one.
- Add the flour and milk in batches. Add a third of the flour first, mix; add half of the milk, mix; add the next third of the flour, mix; then the remaining milk and, finally, the rest of the flour.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide evenly among the holes of the pan.
Make the streusel topping
- Stir the sugar and flour.
- Add the butter and rub with your fingers until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly among the 12 cupcakes.
- Place the muffin pan on a baking tray.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- These vanilla streusel cupcakes are best served warm.
Click here for instructions on how to make vanilla sugar. Updated from a recipe originally published in July 3, 2012