Tomato and Basil QuesadillasRecipe by
Imagine pizza Margherita and bruschetta in quesadilla form. A fast and easy breakfast to prepare, heating the tortillas until they are crisp makes these tomato and basil quesadillas even better.
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 4 six-inch tortillas I used whole wheat
- 1 tomato thinly sliced (I used my mandolin slicer)
- 12 large sweet basil leaves torn
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Take the clove of garlic, cut to expose the center then rub the exposed center on one surface of all the tortillas (see notes after the recipe).
- Lay two tortillas flat (the sides rubbed with garlic on top).
- Divide the tomato slices, basil and mozzarella between them.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with the remaining two tortillas, garlic-rubbed sides touching the filling (that’s two sandwiches!).
- Grill on an oil-free skillet until heated through and the cheese melts, turning to brown both the top and bottom tortillas.
- Cut into quarters and serve immediately.
Trust me, rubbing raw garlic on the tortilla works. You get the aroma of garlic and a hint of the flavor but the quesadillas are not overpowered by the garlic. Updated from a recipe originally published in March 1, 2011