- 3 eggs separated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup cake flour sifted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract optional
To complete the tiramisu
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee cooled
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- shaved dark chocolate
Bake the sponge cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare a ten-inch round pan. If you’re not using a non-stick baking pan, line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- Add the salt and baking soda to the egg whites. Beat until stiff.
- Add the yolks and sugar to the beaten egg whites.
- Beat over low speed (or gently by hand) to blend. Be careful not to destroy the air bubbles in the egg whites.
- Blend in the flour in three batches. Working with a third of the flour each time, blend using a spatula and the cut-and-fold method.
- Pour in the melted butter (and vanilla extract, if using).
- Again using a spatula and the cut-and-fold method, mix the butter carefully into the batter until fully incorporated.
- Pour into the pan. Level off the top with a spatula so that the cake is uniform in height when it bakes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Invert onto a plate then re-invert onto a rack and cool completely.
Make a custard
- Scald the cream in a sauce pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice.
- Temper the egg yolks. Whisk a tablespoon of the hot cream into the egg yolks until incorporated. Repeat until half of the cream has been mixed in.
- With the heat set to low, pour the egg yolk mixture into the remaining cream. Cook, stirring, until a thick custard forms. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Take a piece of cling film and press on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
- Cool the custard completely.
Make the cheesecake
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attached, beat the mascarpone (or cream cheese, if you’re substituting) over medium speed until light and fluffy.
- With the motor running, add the sugar and salt slowly, and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Turn the speed to low and add the cooled custard, a quarter cup at a time, until fully blended.
Assemble the tiramisu (see notes after the recipe)
- Split the cooled sponge cake horizontally into two.
- Stir the spiced rum into the cooled coffee.
- Using a pastry brush, dab half of coffee-rum mixture on the top of bottom half of the sponge cake.
- Spread half of the cheese mixture on the coffee-soaked sponge cake.
- Take the top half of the sponge cake and press lightly on the cheese mixture.
- Dab the remaining half of the coffee-rum mixture on the top half of the sponge cake.
- Spread the remaining half of the cheese mixture on the top half of the sponge cake.
- Scatter shaved dark chocolate on top of the cake.
- Chill for several hours before slicing and serving the tiramisu.