Tempura-style Crispy Green BeansBy
- 100 grams green beans trimmed
- 1 small egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ⅓ cup tapioca starch or corn starch
- cooking oil for frying
For the dipping sauce
- 1 tablespoon Japanese mayo
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- Place the green beans in a bowl, add the egg, salt, pepper and cayenne. Mix well.
- Dump in the starch and mix.
- Heat enough cooking oil in a wok or frying pan to reach a depth of at least two inches.
- Drop the battered green beans one by one in the hot oil. Cook in batches until golden and crisp, about two to three minutes (see notes after the recipe).
- Drain the green beans tempura on a rack or a stack of paper towels.
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce.
- Serve the tempura-style crispy green beans with the dipping sauce on the side.