Mashed cooked sweet potatoes are added to waffle batter. To prevent the sweet potato waffles from turning dense, the batter is lightened with stiffly beaten egg whites.
For more sweet potato goodness, my daughter, Alex, decided to serve the waffles with candied sweet potatoes. A sprinkle of sesame seeds not only added a subtle nutty flavor but a lovely aroma as well.
The candied sweet potatoes were cooked in pretty much the same way what we make American-style sugar-glazed sweet potatoes except that the cubes of sweet potatoes here were fried rather than baked, and no pepper was added.
Sweet Potato WafflesRecipe by
Sweet potato waffle batter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (do not press into the measuring cup)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 extra large egg yolk and white separated
- ½ cup evaporated milk mixed with ½ cup water
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
Candied sweet potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- cooking oil for deep frying
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- toasted sesame seeds
Make the waffle batter
- Stir together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg yolk and milk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour in the melted butter and fold in.
- Stir in mashed sweet potatoes.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white to stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the flour-sweet potato mixture.
- Ladle the batter into an oiled and heated waffler and cook.
- Repeat until all the batter has been cooked into waffles.
Cook the candied sweet potatoes
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into one-inch cubes.
- Heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of two inches.
- Deep fry the cubed sweet potato until browned along the edges and the insides are cooked through.
- Scoop out the fried sweet potato and set aside.
- In a shallow pan, melt the sugar and salt with a tablespoon of water until caramelized (see how to caramelize sugar).
- Toss in the fried sweet potatoes.
Assemble the dish
- Optionally, reheat the waffles in the toaster before arranging on plates.
- Spoon the candied sweet potatoes on top of the waffles and drizzle syrup over them.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.