Spinach and Cheese MuffinsBy
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup spinach blanched, squeezed and finely chopped
- ¾ cup finely sliced scallions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 125 grams sharp cheddar cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 125 grams Pepper Jack cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup full-cream milk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cups.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the scallions and spinach.
- Cook, stirring, for about a minute. Cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the two flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar.
- Throw in the cubed cheeses and toss to coat each piece with flour.
- In another mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk.
- Take cooled spinach mixture and stir into the flour mixture. Make sure to scrape all the butter from the pan and into the flour.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened, about 12 turns. Overmixing muffin batter results in tough muffins.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin holes with the batter, about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for five minutes. Transfer to a rack.
- These muffins are best served while warm and the cheeses are still soft.