Got leftover rice? Asian fried rice is good but spicy sausage and pesto and rice is equally good. Easier to make too with fewer ingredients to prep especially if you keep a jar of pesto in your fridge regularly.
Yes, we keep pesto in the fridge. Not always, but often. Right now, because we just harvested plenty of basil, we have a large jar of pesto in the fridge. Once the monsoon season is in full swing, we’re not likely to harvest as much and as often. Until then, it’s pesto season galore at home.
Spicy Sausage and Pesto Rice
- 1 spicy sausage recommended: Spanish or Spanish-style chorizo, or andouille
- 1 cup cold cooked rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 sprig basil to garnish (optional)
- Slit the sausage, peel off the skin and discard.
- Roughly chop (or crumble) the sausage meat.
- Heat a non-stick pan and spread the sausage meat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fat has been rendered.
- Add the rice to the sausage and cook, tossing, until heated through.
- Off the heat, add pesto and toss to blend.