Sour Cream Chicken and Mushrooms
A simple tasty dish cooked with only nine ingredients (including salt and pepper). Total cook time for this sour cream chicken and mushrooms dish: 20 minutes.
- 6 chicken fillets about 500 grams total weight
- black pepper
- 250 grams button mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 250 grams spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup sour cream see notes after the recipe
- ¼ cup butter
- Wipe the chicken fillets dry with paper towels, cut into thin strips and toss with a teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of pepper.
- Cut the mushrooms into halves, quarters or slices, depending on how large they are.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Rinse and drain the spinach and roughly chop.
- Peel the garlic, grate and stir into the sour cream.
- Set the stove to medium-high and melt the butter in a thick-bottomed frying pan (see notes after the recipe).
- Spread the chicken strips in the hot butter, allow the undersides to brown a bit before stirring. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the chicken. Sprinkle in a bit of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Add the onion slices. Continue cooking, stirring, for another minute.
- Throw in the spinach, sprinkle in a bit more salt and pepper, and cook until wilted and the mixture is almost dry.
- Pour in the sour cream and stir. When the sauce is bubbly, turn off the heat.
- Taste the sauce, add more salt and pepper, as needed, before serving.
1. If you don’t have sour cream, just stir a teaspoon of lemon or lime juice into plain cream. 2. Single cream was used in this recipe. For a thicker sauce, use whipping cream. Not whipped cream but whipping cream. 3. Butter burns fast. If your frying pan is too thin, the butter may burn before chicken and mushrooms are done. You can’t compensate by lowering the heat to prevenet burning because cooking in low heat will result in steaming rather than browning. Updated from a recipe originally published in April 21, 2020