Soda can roast chicken is an easy way to cook a whole chicken evenly. You sit the seasoned chicken in an upright soda can and you roast it. Simple!
The recipe for the marinade is provided. You can use your own. Just remember that sugar or anything with sugar will make the chicken skin brown faster. Personally, I like to derive the sweetness from coconut milk which foils perfectly with the heat of Sriracha.
Soda Can Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken we used free-range, about 1.3 kg.
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup coconut cream yes, thick
- 4 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons rock salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse the chicken and wipe inside and out with a kitchen towel.
- Mix together the garlic, coconut cream, Sriracha, salt and pepper.
- Spread the paste all over the chicken, including the cavity.
- Place the chicken in a bowl. If any marinade remains, pour over the chicken.
- Cover with cling film and let sit in the fridge overnight. For best results, turn the chicken over after about six hours.
- Preheat the oven to 410F.
- Take an empty soda can and half fill with water.
- Stand the soda can upright and lower the chicken into it so that half of the soda is inserted into the chicken’s cavity.
- Roast the chicken at 410F for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 375F and continue roasting for another 45 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to rest for about ten minutes before cutting.