Looking for a unique holiday appetizer that can be made ahead and in bulk? Look no farther.
This smoked salmon and cream cheese concoction will satisfy even the most picky palate. It’s so customizable too. How fine or how rough you should mince the salmon depends on what texture you’re aiming for. For an ultra smooth mixture, mince finely. If you want bits of salmon to be visible, keep the pieces larger.
When seasoning the smoked salmon and cream cheese dip / spread, remember that not all cream cheeses are created equal. Some are more tangy and salty than others. So, season accordingly. If you need more or less than the amounts specified above, go with what your taste buds tell you.
If you’re not going to use all the smoked salmon and cream cheese dip / spread at once, keep the mixture in the fridge in a tightly covered container. Use within two days.
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Dip / SpreadRecipe by
- 400 grams smoked salmon
- 250 grams cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup finely sliced scallions
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 bell pepper roasted, deseeded and chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lime juice or lemon juice
- salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Mince the smoked salmon.
- Put the salmon, cream cheese, scallions, celery and bell pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Fold until of uniform consistency.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir until the mixture feels a little lighter.
- Start adding salt and pepper.
- When you’re happy with the saltiness of the mixture, start adding lime or lemon juice. A little at a time, stirring after each addition. Then, taste. Add more if you want a more pronounced contrast.
- Scoop with a teaspoon and drop on crackers. Or use a piping bag for a cleaner look. Or spread on breads, toasted or not, and take a big bite.