Slow Cooker MinestroneBy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon oregano crushed
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh rosemary stripped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 cups bone broth preferably homemade
- 3 to 4 garlicky sausages sliced into rings
- 2 cups cubed carrots
- 3 to 4 shredded cabbage
- 2 cups cubed zucchini
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and oregano. Saute until softened.
- Transfer the sauteed vegetables, with the oil, into the slow cooker.
- Add the rosemary, bay leaves, tomatoes, tomato paste and broth. Stir.
- Taste. Add salt and pepper.
- Throw in the sliced sausages, carrot cubes and shredded cabbage.
- Switch on the slow cooker to low and cook for three hours.
- Taste the broth. If too bland, add salt or pepper, or both, as needed.
- Stir in the zucchini cubes and continue cooking for another hour.
- Minestrone is best enjoyed with buttered crusty bread.