Slow Cooker Caramelized Onion and Cheese DipBy
- 1 ½ kilograms sweet yellow onion peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 250-gram pack cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce (Kikkoman is recommended)
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup Japanese mayonnaise (see notes after the recipe)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves plus more to garnish
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 pinches chili flakes to garnish
- Drizzle the melted butter in the slow cooker.
- Add the sliced onion, toss well to coat each piece with butter, then stir in the salt and pepper.
- Set the heat to LOW and cook the onion slices until browned, about 10 to 12 hours, stirring the onions every three hours or so.
- Strain the onion slices well (see notes after the recipe) and return to the slow cooker.
- Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add to the onions.
- Turn on the slow cooker again, still on LOW, and cook the onion slices with the cream cheese for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the slow cooker and stir the onions and cheese until blended.
- Add the mayo and parsley and stir to combine.
- Stir in the thyme.
- Drizzle in the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and stir until the coloring is even.
- Cool the caramelized onion and cheese dip then transfer to a covered container. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.