Sausage and Cheese RollsBy
For the dough
For the filling
- 125 grams cheese cut into small cubes
- 150 grams cooked sausages or ham sliced or chopped
- Whisk together the flours and salt.
- Scald the milk.
- Pour the hot milk into a mixing bowl and stir in ¼ cup water. Leave until lukwarm or cooler.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture, add the sugar and melted butter. Stir.
- Add half of the flour mixture. Mix. The dough will be wet, sticky and lumpy.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture. Mix just until the dough comes together.
- Dump the dough into a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes, dusting with flour sparingly, until no longer sticky.
- Form into a ball.
- Brush the inside of a bowl with vegetable oil.
- Put the dough in the bowl, turning it around to coat the surface with oil.
- Cover the bowl and leave the dough to rise for about two hours or until double in size (depending on your kitchen’s room temperature, the rising time might be shorter or longer).
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Form the dough into a log.
- With a rolling pin, flatten the log to make a long rectangle. Cut into eight portions.
- Take one portion of dough, flatten into a disc with your hands (you will need to pull it out with your fingers) then fill with sausages and cheese.
- Gather the edges together, twist to seal then, optionally, roll in bread crumbs.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.
- Arrange the stuffed dough on a baking dish, sealed sides underneath, at least two inches apart.
- Leave to rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake the rolls for 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated 350F oven or until the tops are lightly browned.