Rösti (Swiss Fried Grated Potatoes)By
- 200 grams waxy potatoes
- 1 tablespoon rock salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
- Rinse and scrub the potatoes well.
- Place the potatoes in a pan. Cover with water. Add the salt. Bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes (less if the potatoes are small). Tip: When pierced with a knife, the center of the potatoes should still be firm and offer resistance.
- Drain the potatoes and cool to room temperature.
- Peel the potatoes then grate coarsely. Divide into two portions.
- Over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter in a frying pan.
- Spread half of the grated potatoes on the bottom of the pan. Cook until the underside is browned and crisp.
- Using a wide spatula, flip the rösti to brown the opposite side.
- Repeat the last two steps to cook the remaining half of grated potatoes.
- Serve the rösti at once.