The holidays are fast approaching. If you ever need to make a huge batch of delicious side dish without breaking a sweat, this roasted baby potatoes fit the bill perfectly. Just season, toss with melted butter and spices, stick in the oven and relax.
And it’s not just chili that makes this side dish such a success. There’s rosemary and garlic too — both of which turn crunchy during the half-hour long baking. Can you smell it already? But, first…
What are baby potatoes?
Baby potato is not a special cultivar. It’s just new potato harvested early before it grows to full size. So, depending on what cultivar it falls under, it can be floury or waxy just like full-size regular potatoes.
Depending on where you are in the world, baby potatoes also go by fingerling potatoes or pearl potatoes.
Can you eat the skin of baby potatoes?
Yes, oh yes! The skin of baby potato is so thin! And when you roast baby potatoes, the skin turns crackly.
Roasted Baby Potatoes with Chili, Garlic and Rosemary
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 500 to 600 grams baby potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (see notes after the recipe)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 sprig rosemary stripped
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Stir the garlic into the melted butter and leave to steep.
- Rinse the baby potatoes then dry thoroughly with a kitchen towel.
- Cut the baby potatoes into halves.
- Spread the potato halves in a baking pan.
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, chili flakes and rosemary. Toss well.
- Pour the butter / garlic mixture over the seasoned potato halves.
- Toss everything thoroughly to make sure that every piece of potato is coated in butter and the garlic is evenly distributed.
- Roast the baby potatoes at 425F for ten minutes.
- Stir the potatoes in the baking pan and roast for another ten minutes.
- Lower the heat to 400F and roast for a final ten minutes.
- Scoop out the potatoes and transfer to a serving bowl or individual bowls.
- Scrape the bottom of the baking pan to loosen anything that's stuck.
- Pour the butter in the pan, along with whatever you scraped from the bottom, over the baby potatoes and serve.