Ratatouille (French Provençal Stewed Vegetables)By
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 eggplants cubed
- 1 zucchini halved then cut into half-inch sliced
- 2 bell peppers deseeded and diced
- 1 wedge squash cubed
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano or 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- basil chiffonade to garnish
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a wide shallow pan.
- Saute the garlic and onion until softened and aromatic.
- Add the eggplants, zucchini, bell peppers and squash. Fry lightly for a minute or so.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the thyme and oregano.
- Sprinkle in some salt and pepper.
- Stir the vegetables. Bring to a boil then immediately lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until tender (see notes after the recipe).
- Off the heat, taste the ratatouille one last time and adjust the seasonings, if necessary.
- Sprinkle the basil chiffonade and chopped parsley over the ratatouille.
- Serve your ratatouille warm or at room temperature with rice, bread or noodles.