Boiled quinoa is mixed with blanched cabbage then tossed with sun-dried tomato pesto, olives, scallions and tomatoes. Quinoa salad is a great side dish for fried and grilled chicken dishes.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup finely sliced white cabbage
- pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon grated garlic
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto (see notes after the recipe)
- 2 heaping tablespoons sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
- 2 to 3 tomatoes de-seeded and cut into small cubes
- lime or lemon juice to taste
- Rinse the quinoa, drain and dump into a small pan.
- Pour in three-fourth cup of water.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Fluff up the quinoa with a fork and cool.
- While the quinoa cooks, blanch the cabbage in salted water for three minutes. Drain and cool.
- Place the quinoa and cabbage in a mixing bowl. Add the sun-dried tomato pesto and toss until every grain is coated. Taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the olives, scallions and tomatoes.
- Drizzle in the lime or lemon juice. Toss.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, as needed, before serving the quinoa salad.
Sun-dried tomato pesto is sold in jars. If unavailable, process sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil with some garlic until pasty. Add salt and pepper, stir in grated Parmesan and you have sun-dried tomato pesto. Updated from a recipe originally published in September 2, 2016