- 1 ½ cups bread flour
- ½ cup water
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon oil plus more to grease the bowl
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 tablespoons semolina
- ½ cup thick tomato sauce
- 1 onion peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 12 pitted olives sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded mature cheddar
- 1 ½ cups Bechamel sauce (see notes after the recipe)
- ½ cup shredded mature cheddar
- chopped parsley
Make the bread
- Dump the flour into a mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast, salt and sugar.
- Make a well at the center and pour in the oil and water.
- Stir the mixture by gathering the flour into the wet ingredients.
- Mix until all the wet ingredients have been absorbed by the flour.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface and dump in the rested dough.
- Knead by alternately pushing it with the heel of your hand and rolling it back towards you. The kneading takes about 20 minutes.
- When the dough can be formed into a smooth ball, grease the bottom and sides of a clean bowl and drop in the dough.
- Roll the dough around to cover every inch of the surface with oil.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and leave to rise until double in volume (see notes after the recipe).
Make the rolls
- Line a 9" x 13" baking pan with non-stick paper and sprinkle in half of the semolina evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the semolina on your work surface, drop in the dough and roll into a rectangle about one centimeter thick.
- Spread tomato sauce on the dough.
- Scatter the onion and olive slices on top of the tomato sauce.
- Spread the cheeses over the sliced onion and olives (or grate directly over the dough).
- Lift one long end of the dough and start rolling all the way to the opposite long end it to enclose the filling. Pinch to seal.
- Cut the rolled dough into twelve equal portions.
- Arrange the rolls, cut sides on the top and bottom, at least an inch and a half apart in the prepared baking pan.
- Leave the rolls to rise for about 15 minutes. Do not wait for them to fill out the pan; they will do that in the oven during baking.
- While the rolls rise, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the pizza rolls for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir the cheese into the Bechamel sauce to make Mornay sauce.
- Take the pizza rolls out of the oven and, while still very hot, drop and spread a heaping tablespoonful of Mornay sauce on each roll.
- Sprinkle the pizza rolls with chopped parsley and serve immediately.