Pizza RollsRecipe by
These pizza rolls are made with our basic bread recipe. To garnish, Mornay sauce was spread on the hot rolls. Chopped parsley adds just the right amount of brightness.
- ½ cup thick tomato sauce
- 1 onion peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 12 pitted olives sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded mature cheddar
- 1 ½ cups Bechamel sauce (see notes after the recipe)
- ½ cup shredded mature cheddar
- chopped parsley
Make the bread
- Dump the flour into a mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast, salt and sugar.
- Make a well at the center and pour in the oil and water.
- Stir the mixture by gathering the flour into the wet ingredients.
- Mix until all the wet ingredients have been absorbed by the flour.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface and dump in the rested dough.
- Knead by alternately pushing it with the heel of your hand and rolling it back towards you. The kneading takes about 20 minutes.
- When the dough can be formed into a smooth ball, grease the bottom and sides of a clean bowl and drop in the dough.
- Roll the dough around to cover every inch of the surface with oil.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and leave to rise until double in volume (see notes after the recipe).
Make the rolls
- Line a 9" x 13" baking pan with non-stick paper and sprinkle in half of the semolina evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the semolina on your work surface, drop in the dough and roll into a rectangle about one centimeter thick.
- Spread tomato sauce on the dough.
- Scatter the onion and olive slices on top of the tomato sauce.
- Spread the cheeses over the sliced onion and olives (or grate directly over the dough).
- Lift one long end of the dough and start rolling all the way to the opposite long end it to enclose the filling. Pinch to seal.
- Cut the rolled dough into twelve equal portions.
- Arrange the rolls, cut sides on the top and bottom, at least an inch and a half apart in the prepared baking pan.
- Leave the rolls to rise for about 15 minutes. Do not wait for them to fill out the pan; they will do that in the oven during baking.
- While the rolls rise, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the pizza rolls for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir the cheese into the Bechamel sauce to make Mornay sauce.
- Take the pizza rolls out of the oven and, while still very hot, drop and spread a heaping tablespoonful of Mornay sauce on each roll.
- Sprinkle the pizza rolls with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
How long it takes for the dough to double in volume depends largely on room temperature and humidity. Dough rises faster in a warm kitchen. Click here for the Bechamel sauce recipe.