The basic piña colada has white rum, pineapple juice and coconut cream. We deviate from the basic by adding coconut rum for more coconut flavor and aroma.
- 2 ounces light rum
- 2 ounces coconut rum
- 3 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 ounces unsweetened coconut cream fresh is best but you may substitute canned or powdered
- Place ice cubes in a small pitcher.
- Add all the ingredients.
- Stir until chilled.
- Pour into glasses and serve.
- Optionally, garnish with a wedge of pineapple.
There is blended piña colada (mixed with ice in a blender) and there’s shaken piña colada (shaken with ice in a cocktail shaker). We find that blending or shaking makes the coconut cream form too much froth. Stirring, with no shaking, minimizes this. Of course, there are people who like froth on top of their piña colada. If you’re one of them, go ahead and use a cocktail shaker. Updated from a recipe originally published in November 18, 2010