Pico de Gallo
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 habanero chili
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves only
- 2 limes we used Kaffir lime
- salt to taste
- Cut the tomatoes into halves. Scoop out and discard the pulp and seeds. Cut the flesh into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Peel the onion and chop into pieces roughly the same size as the tomatoes. Optionally, dump into a bowl of iced water for 10 minutes to remove the sharpness then drain well.
- Split the habanero lengthwise. For less heat in your pico de gallo, scoop out and discard the seeds before chopping the habanero finely.
- Finely chop the cilantro leaves.
- Place the prepared tomatoes, onion, habanero and cilantro in a bowl, and toss lightly.
- Zest the limes and add as much or as little to the vegetables.
- Cut the limes and squeeze the juice of one lime directly over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle in salt.
- Toss the pico de gallo and taste. Add more salt and / or lime juice and toss until you get the balance of flavor that you prefer.