Two tips to make pesto rice really pop. One, fry garlic in olive oil and add the mixture to the rice along with the pesto. Two, squeeze in lime or lemon juice before digging in.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil not extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 6 cups rice newly cooked
- 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons pesto homemade or store-bought
- 2 limes or lemons cut into wedges
- mint leaves thinly sliced
- Set a small frying pan on the stove and turn the heat on medium-low.
- Pour the olive oil into the frying pan. Swirl the pan the coat the entire bottom.
- Spread the chopped garlic on the hot oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Put the rice in a bowl.
- Drizzle in the oil with all the browned garlic.
- Stir to coat each grain of rice with the flavorful oil.
- Add the pesto and toss the rice until evenly colored.
- Top the rice with lime or lemon wedges and sliced mint leaves.
Can day-old rice be cooked as pesto rice? Yes, actually. Brown the garlic, as above. Without turning off the heat, add the rice and toss until heated through. Transfer the rice to a bowl and toss in the pesto off the heat. Garnish with lemon wedges and sliced mint leaves. Updated from a recipe originally published in July 24, 2020