Pesto and White Sauce LasagnaBy
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
Brown the beef
- Heat the butter in a frying pan.
- When the froth dissipates, add the beef and spread over the bottom of the pan.
- Cook without disturbing until the underside is browned. Stir, breaking up lumps, and continue cooking until the meat loses its raw appearance.
- Sprinkle in the cumin, oregano and thyme. Add salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, until the mixture is almost dry.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Set aside the beef to cool.
Make the white sauce
- In the same pan where the beef was cooked, melt the remaining 1/4 cup of butter.
- Add the flour all at once and stir to remove lumps.
- Cook over medium heat for three to four minutes.
- Pour the milk in a thin stream, stirring as you pour.
- Cook the white sauce until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Assemble the dish
- Spread about two tablespoons of the white sauce on the entire bottom of an 8″x8″ baking dish.
- Arrange the lasagna on top of the white sauce (see notes after the recipe).
- Scatter a third of the ground beef over the noodles.
- Pour a third of the white sauce over the meat.
- Take a third of the pesto and drop by teaspoonfuls over the white sauce.
- Spread a third of the shredded cheese over the layers of noodles, meat and sauces.
- Repeat the layering procedure until you have three layers of everything.
- Bake the pesto and white sauce lasagna at 400F until bubbly and the top is lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Rest the baked lasagna for about ten minutes before cutting and serving.