Pepperoni and Cheese French Toast Roll-upsBy
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 slices white loaf bread
- 6 slices pepperoni (see notes after the recipe)
- 2 thick strips cheese (see notes after the recipe)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Set the stove to medium heat. Start heating the butter in a frying pan.
- Cut off the crusts of the bread slices. Reserve the crusts for another use (like making bread pudding).
- Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin. You can’t skip this part; if you do, the bread won’t be pliable enough to fill and roll.
- Lay three slices of pepperoni, in slightly overlapping fashion, on each slice of bread.
- Place a cheese strip on one side. Roll up the bread as tightly as you can without squishing the cheese inside.
- Dip the rolled bread slices in egg.
- Fry in hot butter or oil, rolling them around for even browning.
- Drain the bread rolls on paper towels.
- As soon as they can be handled, cut into slices about an inch and a half to expose the delicious filling of pepperoni and cheese.