Pancakes from ScratchBy
- Stir together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg and milk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour in the melted butter and fold in.
- Pour a quarter cup of pancake batter into a hot pan (Yes, the pan should be already hot before pouring in the batter so that the steam immediately pushes the batter upward. If not, the pancake will be too flat, too dense and too pale.)
- How do you tell if the pancake is ready to be flipped? You watch for the appearance of bubbles. Ideally the center should have a few bubbles while the edges are almost covered with them. If you wait until the entire surface is covered with bubbles, the underside will be too brown.
- If the temperature of the pan is right just, the pancake should be ready to be flipped in about 45 seconds to a minute. The opposite side needs less time to cook.
- Serve the pancakes warm. Top it with whatever you fancy. I like butter and honey (am not a fan of commercial pancake syrup) and, occasionally, whipped cream. Jams are also great with pancakes.