Cubed apples mixed with sugar and cinnamon are sandwiched between layers of buttery crust made with flour, sugar and chopped nuts. These apple crumble bars are a great snack or a quick dessert.
Rich. Very rich. That’s why I opted to cut the baked dish into squares rather then into bars. Of course, if you feel you need more than one bar, there’s absolutely no reason why you can have a second, or even a third, square. They’re so good.
Why apples? Can’t another fruit be used for the filling? We’ve done blueberry and strawberry versions, and they’re just as good. But it’s the first time we added nuts to the crust, and that made a world of difference. When we’ve updated the recipes and photos for the blueberry and strawberry versions, we’ll share the recipes for them too.
Nutty Apple Crumble BarsRecipe by
- 2 baking pans with removable bottom measuring 7" x 11"
- 8 Fuji apples peeled, cored and cut into half-inch cubes (about 6 cups after cutting)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
- Place the apples in a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients for the filling except the butter.
- Toss thoroughly and leave to macerate for about ten minutes.
- While the apples macerate, toast the nuts in an oil-free pan.
- Set aside to cool.
- Melt the quarter cup of butter (for the filling) in a pan, and add the apples and juices.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the apples have softened and bit and the juices have turned sticky.
- Leave the filling to cool while you make the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Put the nuts in the bowl of the mixer. Add the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Attach the paddle mixer and turn on the mixer at medium speed.
- Drop in the cold butter, a few pieces at a time, and process until the mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Drop in the egg and mix briefly until fully incorporated.
- Lightly press a cup of the crumb mixture on the bottom of a 7" x 11" pan (if not using a non-stick pan, lightly grease and flour beforehand).
- Repeat with the other pan.
- Spread the apple filing over the crust.
- Take the remaining crust mixture and drop by pinches over the filling.
- Bake at 375F for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the crust is firm and lightly browned.
- Cool completely before releasing from the pans and cutting.