A tea cocktail drink, mo-tea-to is a refreshing fusion of mojito and lemon-mint tea.Based on a recipe from The Bar, my version of mo-tea-to has lemon instead of lime. In lieu of steeping a bag of mint tea, I steeped loose-leaf jasmine tea with mint leaves to make the base of the drink. And to heighten the citrusy aroma, I added lemon zest to the simple syrup.Wonderful drink. Even my husband, Speedy, our resident cocktail drinks mixer, says so.
- ½ cup white sugar
- zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon loose leaf jasmine tea
- 12 peppermint leaves torn to release the essential oils
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ½ ounces rum
- juice of 2 lemons
- sprigs of peppermint leaves to garnish
Make the simple syrup
- Boil together the sugar with half a cup of water and the lemon zest. When the sugar dissolves, turn off the heat.
- Cool the syrup (see notes after the recipe).
Make the mint tea
- Place the tea in a mug or bowl.
- Add the torn peppermint leaves.
- Pour in about a cup and a half of hot water.
- Allow to steep for about four minutes.
Mix the mo-tea-to
- Strain the tea into a teapot.
- Add the lemon juice, vodka, rum and about two ounces of the cooled simple syrup.
- Stir and taste. Add more lemon juice or syrup, or vodka and rum, until you come up with the most pleasing balance of flavors.
- Place some ice cubes in tea cups then fill the cups with mo-tea-to.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.
Excess simple syrup can be kept at room temperature for a day or two. Updated from a recipe originally published in February 6, 2014