- 3 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice (see notes after the recipe)
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ¼ cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- sliced scallions or torn cilantro, to garnish
- In a thick-bottomed pan, heat the olive oil.
- Saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic until the onion pieces are translucent.
- Pour in the rice and cook, stirring, until every grain is coated with oil and the rice grains are opaque.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, oregano, about a teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring, for have a minute or until the coloring is even.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and cook to distribute evenly.
- Pour in the broth, stir and bring everything to the boil.
- Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook the rice for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice grains have absorbed all the liquid.
- With a fork, fluff up the rice.
- Taste the rice; add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Cover the pan and, OFF the heat, let the rice cook in the residual heat for another five minutes.