Cucumber is such a great refresher — rehydrating and soothing, no wonder that slices of fresh cucumber are placed over tired and puffy eyes to soothe them.
But if you’re a stranger to drinks made from vegetables and the idea of pureed cucumber doesn’t sound all that appealing, well, although the cucumber is eaten as a vegetable, it is actually a fruit. Review your botany and be amazed. And when you stop thinking of the cucumber as a vegetable, then making it into a drink doesn’t sound so strange.
Mango, Cucumber and Mint Smoothie
- 1 chilled cucumber
- 2 chilled mangoes
- plain simple syrup to taste (you may substitute sugar)
- juice of half a lime or lemon
- crushed ice
- 10 mint leaves
- Peel the cucumber. Split into halves vertically. Scrape off the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Cut the mangoes, remove the stones and discard. Scoop out the flesh and cut into small cubes.
- Put the cucumber and mango cubes into the blender. Pour in the lime or lemon juice. Add the simple syrup or sugar (start with a tablespoonful; you can add more later, if needed).
- Add about half a cup of crushed ice into the blender. Process the mixture until the cucumber and mangoes are pureed. Taste. Add more syrup or sugar, if needed.
- Tear the mint leaves and throw into the blender. Blitz a few times to chop the leaves.
- Pour the smoothie into glasses. Garnish with whole mint leaves. Serve cold.