Some people adore salads; I don’t. Most salad lovers worship raw greens; I don’t. Well, generally. There is an exception.
When raw greens are combined with fruits and nuts, a salad becomes edible. Lovable even. Yep, just like this lychee and mango salad with honey-mustard dressing.
Lychee Mango Salad
For the dressing
For the salad
- 1 handful handful lettuce any variety
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 cup lychees I used canned
- 1 sweet ripe mango
- ¼ cup nuts any kind
Make the salad dressing
- Take a jar with a screw-type cap and pour in the honey, mustard, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Shake well to combine.
- Add salt and pepper, and shake again.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
Prep the salad
- Rinse the lettuce well. Tear the lettuce into bite-size pieces and dry with a salad spinner.
- Cut the cucumber into thin rings. Peel them before cutting or not is up to you.
- If using canned lychees, drain well. If they are rather large, cut them into halves.
- Cut both sides of the mango as close to the stone as you can. Score the mango flesh without piercing the skin then scoop out with a spoon.
- Roughly chop the nuts.
- Toast in an oil-free pan until lightly browned and glistening. Cool.
Assemble the salad
- Place the lettuce, cucumber rings, lychees, mango strips and half of the nuts in a bowl.
- Using your hands, toss them lightly. Pour in just enough salad dressing to wet the ingredients.
- Toss lightly once more.
- Heap the salad into bowls and top with the remaining nuts.