- 2 large starchy potatoes (see notes after the recipe)
- 4 sausages double smoked pork sausages were used here
- cooking oil for deep frying
- mustard to serve
- mayo to serve
- ketchup to serve
- Peel the potatoes and cut into sticks less than half an inch wide.
- Slice the sausages on the bias, about a quarter of an inch thick.
- In a frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least three inches.
- Fry the potatoes until golden and crisp.
- Scoop out with a kitchen spider and dump into a strainer.
- Pour off the oil leaving only about two tablespoonfuls in the pan.
- Reheat the oil and fry the sliced sausages until nicely browned.
- In a large bowl, toss the fries and fried sausage slices.
- Transfer the salchipapas to a plate.
- Serve with mustard, mayo and ketchup for dipping and, for an authentic touch, coleslaw on the side.
- Enjoy your salchipapas!