Say “fried rice” and most people think of Chinese-style fried rice. Eggs, char shiu pork, sausages, carrot, peas… Delicious, sure, but there’s more than one way to cook fried rice, as any cook worth his or her salt will tell you.
In this herb and seed fried rice recipe, we stray away from the familiar. We use a medley of herbs and seeds to give the rice flavor, color and aroma.
Herb and Seed Fried Rice
- Crumble the rice to separate the grains.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Lightly brown the garlic over medium heat.
- Add the basil, thyme and oregano. Cook, stirring, for half a minute.
- Turn up the heat to high.
- Add the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir fry until the rice is heated through.
- Off the heat, add the flax, chia and hemp seeds.
- Toss to blend well.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Add the scallions, toss a few more times.
- Serve the herb and seed fried rice with your meat, seafood or vegetable main course.