Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So goes the saying. It’s not something I totally agree with. It takes me an hour, and a huge mug of strong coffee, to get the bleariness off me eyes and the cobwebs off my head when I wake up. And even after that, breakfast has to be really appetizing to get me to eat properly. I’m really not a morning person. But ham and cheese toasties? I will not say no to them.
The recipe below begins with making Béchamel sauce. If, however, you have excess sauce in the fridge (we often do), making these ham and cheese toasties is faster and easier. But whether or not you have to make the Béchamel sauce, don’t skip the mustard. And don’t scrimp on the cheese.
Ham and Cheese Toasties
- Split the buns and toast.
- In a small pan, melt the butter.
- Add the flour to the butter, stirring to remove lumps. Cook, stirring often, for about three minutes.
- Pour in the milk in a slow steady stream, stirring as you pour. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is thick.
- Stir in the mustard and ham.
- Off the heat, stir in the mozzarella and cheddar. Mix until melted.
- Taste. Add just enough salt and pepper to flavor the mixture.
- Spread about two heaping tablespoons of the ham and cheese mixture on each toasted half bun.
- Grill in a preheated broiler (or in the oven with only the top heat on) at 400F for about five minutes or until the cheese and ham topping is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.