Guam-style Grilled ChickenBy
- 1 kilogram chicken drumsticks and thighs
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup calamansi juice lemon or lime juice may be substituted
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 to 3 bird’s eye chilies roughly chopped
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Place in a shallow bowl.
- Make the fina’denne’ by stirring together the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour half of the fina’denne’ over the chicken. Reserve the remaining half in a jar with a screw-type cap.
- Mix the fina’denne’ and chicken. Cover the bowl. Refrigerate for at least six hours (overnight works better).
- Preheat the oven to 425F (or start lighting up the charcoal if you’re using a charcoal grill).
- Place the chicken on a rack positioned over a tray (to catch the drippings).
- Oven-grill for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken legs and thighs) or until the skins are blistered and crackly, and the meat is cooked through. To test the meat for doneness, pierce the thighs at the center near the bone. If the juices that ooze out is clear (a.k.a. not bloody), the chicken is done.
- Serve the Guam-style grilled chicken with the reserved fina’denne’ on the side for dipping.