Essentially a quickbread, muffins are a delicious breakfast or snack. In this easy recipe, finely sliced green onion and crumbled feta are stirred into the batter. Delicious as they are pretty, these savory muffins will make a lovely addition to your holiday brunch menu.
On a scale of one to five, just how good are they? I’d give them a six. Seriously, they’re really good. Subtly sweet with the salty feta creating a wonderful contrast. The green onion and chopped onion give the muffins an incredibly tantalizing aroma.
On a scale of one to five, how easy is it to make these muffins? I’d say two. If you can slice, whisk, stir and operate the microwave and a regular oven, you can easily make them.
Can these muffins be baked in bulk and frozen? Yes. They don’t easily dry out, if that’s what you’re thinking. However they lose the lightly crusty top that makes them doubly mouthwatering straight out of the oven.
To reheat one frozen muffin, thaw in the microwave on HIGH for 30 to 35 seconds then transfer to a preheated oven toaster and heat at 350F for three to four minutes.
Green Onion and Feta MuffinsRecipe by
- ¼ cup chilled butter cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup finely sliced green onion
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup crumbled feta (measure after crumbling)
- ½ cup full-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a microwavable cup, place the butter, green onion and chopped onion.
- Microwave on HIGH for 30 to 45 seconds or just until the butter is melted, then leave to cool.
- Place the crumbled feta in a bowl lined with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Whisk the milk and egg together until no visible streaks of the egg remain.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the crumbled feta and toss until every piece of cheese is coated with the flour mixture (this prevents the pieces of cheese from sinking to the bottom during baking).
- Scrape the butter, green onion and onion into the bowl with the flour and whisk to distribute.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture into the bowl and stir just until combined (12 strokes should be enough).
- Pour one-fourth cup of the batter into each of seven three-ounce cupcake liners.
- Bake at 375F for 25 minutes.
- Serve the green onion and feta muffins straight out of the oven.