Garlic Squid Ink Pasta
- 125 grams squid ink pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
- 2 bird's eye chilies finely sliced
- pecorino or other hard cheese
- lime or lemon wedges to serve
- In a large pan, boil six to eight cups of water with a teaspoon of salt.
- Cook the squid ink pasta for ten to twelve minutes, or until al dente.
- Drain the pasta (save some of the pasta water).
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter and olive oil.
- Saute the garlic and sliced shallots until softened and aromatic.
- Stir in the oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce and pepper.
- Toss in the cooked pasta.
- Pour in a quarter cup of pasta water to thicken the sauce a bit.
- Cook, tossing, until the sauce coats every strand of noodle.
- Divide the pasta among four bowls.
- Sprinkle scallions and chilies over the pasta.
- Grate pecorino directly over the noodles.
- Serve with lime or lemon wedges on the side.