It’s easy enough to make really good garlic toast, but when garlic is baked into the bread rather than slathered on already cooked bread, the experience is different. Amazingly different.
Almost any bread dough can be baked into these garlic Parmesan bread sticks. You may use regular bread flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour… You may even make the dough following your own formula and just skip to the last part of the recipe where you roll it out thinly and spread the cheese and garlic on the surface.
Garlic Parmesan Bread Sticks
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup dried garlic chips see notes after the recipe
Make the bread
- Dump the flour into a mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast, salt and sugar.
- Make a well at the center and pour in the oil and water.
- Stir the mixture by gathering the flour into the wet ingredients.
- Mix until all the wet ingredients have been absorbed by the flour.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface and dump in the rested dough.
- Knead by alternately pushing it with the heel of your hand and rolling it back towards you. The kneading takes about 20 minutes.
- When the dough can be formed into a smooth ball, grease the bottom and sides of a clean bowl and drop in the dough.
- Roll the dough around to cover every inch of the surface with oil.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and leave to rise until double in volume (see notes after the recipe).
Make the bread sticks
- Divide the dough into two portions.
- Take one portion and roll (on a sheet of baking paper) into a rectangle about an eighth of an inch thick. The dimension of the rolled dough should be what will fit snugly in your baking tray.
- Sprinkle half of the Parmesan and dried garlic chips on the entire surface of the dough. Pat gently to lightly press the cheese and garlic into the dough.
- Cut the dough into halves lengthwise then cut each half into strips about an inch to an inch and a half wide. Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter.
- Holding one edge of the baking paper, slide the dough onto the baking tray.
- Do the same with the other half of the dough.
- Let the dough rise until doubled, about ten minutes.
- While the dough rises, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake at 375F for about 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve the garlic Parmesan bread sticks while hot.