Garlic Parmesan Bread SticksBy
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup dried garlic chips see notes after the recipe
Make the bread
- Dump the flour into a mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast, salt and sugar.
- Make a well at the center and pour in the oil and water.
- Stir the mixture by gathering the flour into the wet ingredients.
- Mix until all the wet ingredients have been absorbed by the flour.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface and dump in the rested dough.
- Knead by alternately pushing it with the heel of your hand and rolling it back towards you. The kneading takes about 20 minutes.
- When the dough can be formed into a smooth ball, grease the bottom and sides of a clean bowl and drop in the dough.
- Roll the dough around to cover every inch of the surface with oil.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and leave to rise until double in volume (see notes after the recipe).
Make the bread sticks
- Divide the dough into two portions.
- Take one portion and roll (on a sheet of baking paper) into a rectangle about an eighth of an inch thick. The dimension of the rolled dough should be what will fit snugly in your baking tray.
- Sprinkle half of the Parmesan and dried garlic chips on the entire surface of the dough. Pat gently to lightly press the cheese and garlic into the dough.
- Cut the dough into halves lengthwise then cut each half into strips about an inch to an inch and a half wide. Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter.
- Holding one edge of the baking paper, slide the dough onto the baking tray.
- Do the same with the other half of the dough.
- Let the dough rise until doubled, about ten minutes.
- While the dough rises, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake at 375F for about 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve the garlic Parmesan bread sticks while hot.