Cubes of marinated chicken grilled to perfection, sweet seedless grapes, chunks of fresh pineapple and toasted pecans are tossed in mayo, sour cream and a tiny drizzle of lime juice.
Why fruits and nuts? Well, why not? Chicken potato salad and chicken macaroni salad are popular, I know, but there comes a time to try combining poultry with other ingredients.
Fruits and nuts go perfectly with chicken, I tell you. The sweet juiciness of the fruits and the crunch of the pecans give this salad a wonderful combination of flavors, textures and colors.
Why grill the chicken instead of poaching or boiling? Because grilling imparts a smoky flavor and aroma that contrast well with the fruits.
Fruity Nutty Chicken Salad
- 3 chicken thighs bone in
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 ½ cups seedless grapes well chilled
- 1 ½ cups fresh pineapple chunks – well chilled well chilled
- ¾ cup pecans toasted in an oil-free pan, cooled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ teaspoon lime juice or lemon juice
- Wipe the chicken thighs with paper towels.
- Rub with one teaspoon salt, a quarter teaspoon pepper and all of the cayenne powder.
- Place in a covered container and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least two hours.
- Grill the chicken just until done (see notes after the recipe).
- Cool the chicken then chill in a covered container for at least two hours or overnight (see notes after the recipe).
- Take the chicken out of the fridge. Discard the bones and cut the meat into one-inch cubes.
- Place the grapes, pineapple and pecans in a bowl.
- Add the chicken. Toss lightly.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream and lime juice.
- Add the to chicken, fruits and nuts.
- Toss lightly but thoroughly.
- Taste. Add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve the fruity nutty chicken salad at once while all the ingredients are still cold. Alternatively, chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.