Fish and ChipsBy
- 4 fish fillets about 600 grams total weight (tilapia is used here)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 800 grams potatoes
- cooking oil
- vinegar or lemon wedges
- lemon pepper seasoning (optional)
Season the fish fillets
- Place the fish fillets between stacks of paper towels and press to remove surface moisture.
- If cooking the fish with the skin, score the skin a few times. This will prevent the fillet from curling during frying.
- Sprinkle both sides of the fish fillets with salt and pepper.
- Leave to marinate in the fridge.
Soak the potatoes
- Half fill a large bowl with water and stir in the salt until dissolved.
- Rinse and scrub the potatoes.
- Wipe the potatoes with a kitchen towel.
- Cut the potatoes into half-inch slices then cut each slice into half-inch sticks.
- Place the potatoes in the prepared bowl of water.
- Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
Cook the chips (first frying)
- Drain the potatoes and spread in a kitchen towel.
- Optionally, peel the potatoes.
- In a large frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least three inches.
- When the oil is hot (350F if you're using a thermometer), dump in the potatoes and cook just until beginning to turn golden.
- Scoop out and spread on a rack.
Make the batter
- Start reheating the cooking oil (yes, the same oil where you cooked the potatoes).
- Take the fish out of the fridge.
- Whisk together the flour and potato starch.
- Take one-fourth cup of the flour-starch mixture and set aside.
- To the remaining flour-starch mixture, add the baking powder, salt and dark beer. Stir until smooth.
- Coat each fish fillet with the reserved flour-starch mixture.
- Dip each fish fillet in the batter and slide into the hot oil and cook until a deep golden crust forms (do this in batches if your pan is not very large).
- Rest the fried fish fillets on a rack.
Cook the chips (second frying)
- Dump the partially cooked potatoes in the hot oil (see notes after the recipe) and cook until browned and crisp.
- Scoop out and dump into a strainer.
Serve your fish and chips
- Place the fish and chips on plates.
- Optionally, sprinkle the fish with lemon pepper seasoning.
- Serve with vinegar or lemon wedges on the side.