Fettuccine Aglio e Olio with MusselsBy
- 80 to 90 grams fettuccine or whatever pasta shape you prefer
- 8 cups mussel broth
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 generous pinch chili flakes
- 1 small handful chopped fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- cooked mussels empty half shell discarded for convenience
- Cook the pasta as you normally would but in boiling mussel broth instead of water. How much salt you need to add depends on how well-seasoned the broth is.
- When the pasta is halfway done, heat the olive oil, add the garlic and chili flakes and cook over medium heat until the garlic bits are lightly browned.
- Drain the pasta and add to the oil and garlic.
- Pour in a couple of tablespoonfuls of the mussel broth.
- Add the mussels on the half shell. Toss.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Once the mussels are heated through, turn off the heat.
- Add the parsley and toss until well distributed.