Egg in the BasketBy
- 3 jumbo hotdogs
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 slices loaf bread
- 3 whole eggs
- scallions thinly sliced
- Cut the hotdogs into slices about a quarter of an inch thick.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan. Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the sliced hotdogs and cook until the edges are just starting to brown.
- Pour in the Sriracha and soy sauce. Stir. Cook until the sauce is bubbly.
- Set the spicy hotdogs aside and keep warm.
- Using a cookie cutter (or rim of a drinking glass) with a diameter equal to the width of the bread, cut the bread slices into circles. Using a smaller cookie cutter (or the rim of a smaller drinking glass), cut out a hole in the center.
- Spread both sides of the bread liberally with butter.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Lay the bread in a single layer. When the undersides are toasted, flip them over.
- Crack an egg into the hole of each bread. Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper (see notes after the recipe).
- Cook the bread and eggs over medium-low heat until the eggs are cooked to your specification. Just remember that if you want non-runny yolks, the bread might get too brown. One option, of course, is to flip the bread over to cook the yolks until no longer runny.
- Take three plates and place an egg-in-the-hole on each one. Spoon the spicy hotdogs on the side. Sprinkle with sliced scallions.
- Serve your egg in the basket with spicy hotdogs at once.