There are so many ways to cook and enjoy eggs. While scrambled eggs and omelettes do have their good points, ninety-nine per cent of the time, I feel it’s sacrilege to cook the yolks into a solid. I like my egg yolks runny.
Such were my thoughts when I cooked this egg and ham bake. Yes, baked. In the oven. But I was careful to bake just long enough for the egg whites to bind the ham, cheese and vegetables together but not long enough for the yolks to harden. Result? Perfection.
Egg and Ham Bake
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Smear the bottom and sides of four ramekins with the softened butter.
- Crack two eggs directly into each ramekin.
- Sprinkle the eggs with a bit of pepper and salt. Not too much because the ham and cheese are both salty.
- Scatter the ham, greens and cheese around the eggs.
- Drizzle the cream over the greens.
- Sprinkle the fried shallots on top.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes for runny yolks; longer if you want the yolks to be firm.
- Drizzle with Sriracha or ketchup before serving.