Easy Pan-fried Scallops with Bacon
Based on a recipe by Nigella Lawson, this easy-to-cook pan-fried scallops with bacon ditches Nigella’s crumbled chorizo in favor of crispy bacon.
- 12 large scallops
- 100 grams belly bacon (smoked, not honeycured)
- juice of half a lemon
- roughly chopped fresh parsley
- Finely slice the bacon.
- Spread the bacon in a hot oil-free non-stick pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until fat had been rendered and the bacon’s color turns deeper (you can go on cooking until the bacon bits are crisp — totally up to you).
- Scoop out the bacon bits. Keep the heat on.
- To the bacon fat in the pan, add the scallops.
- Cook to sear, about two minutes per side.
- Pour in the lemon juice, scraping to loosen whatever bits are sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the scallops to a plate.
- Pour over the pan juices.
- Add the bacon bits.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve hot.
My husband, Speedy, cooked this dish. Whether he found the inspiration in Nigella’s website or saw her cooking the dish on TV, I am not sure. The original recipe, he said, had crumbled chorizo. We didn’t have chorizo so Speedy used bacon. Great choice, it turned out. The dish did not need any salt as the salt from the bacon was enough to season everything without overpowering the delicate flavor of the scallops. Updated from a recipe originally published in June 2, 2011