Boiled potatoes and carrot are peeled and cubed, roughly chopped hard-boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish and salty ham are added, and everything is tossed with mayo to make this easy creamy potato salad.
Hard-boiled eggs? Yep, that was how my father made potato salad. He used quail eggs though. Little did I realize when I was a kid that the addition of egg was a Japanese thing. As the yolks crumble during the tossing, they add a lovely creaminess that mayo alone cannot provide.
Is there a correct proportion of ingredients? I say no. I prefer more potato than carrot though. And I like plenty of salty meat.
Easy Creamy Potato SaladRecipe by
- 4 waxy potatoes (about 800 grams in total weight) boiled and cooled
- 1 large carrot boiled and cooled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs shelled
- 250 grams salty ham
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- sugar (optional)
- white vinegar (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and carrot, and cut into half-inch cubes.
- Roughly chop the eggs and ham.
- Place the potatoes, carrot, egg, ham and pickle relish in a mixing bowl.
- Add a quarter cup of mayo and toss.
- If the mixture appears too dry, add more mayo, a tablespoon at a time, and tossing after each addition.
- Taste and add salt (how much depends on the saltiness of the potatoes, ham and mayo) and pepper.
- Cover the mixing bowl and chill the potato salad for two to three hours.
- Remove the salad from the fridge and taste again (see notes after the recipe). Adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Transfer your potato salad to a clean container, cover and keep in the fridge until serving time.