Macchiato is espresso with milk foam; dulce de leche macchiato is coffee with dulce de leche and milk foam. But dulce de leche is milk; isn’t that redundant? No, it’s absolutely divine!
It’s a hot drink to enjoy for breakast or after lunch or dinner. On second thought, you may enjoy it any time of the day. It’s easy enough to make if you have a can or jar of dulce de leche lying around. We often do.
But how can it be easy to make if the drink is topped with milk foam? Well, because it’s not hard to make milk foam. You don’t even need a dedicated gadget to make some. A wire whisk (a staple in most modern households) does the trick well.
Dulce de Leche Macchiato
- Heat the milk until simmering and pour into a small mixing bowl.
- Using a wire whisk, whip the hot milk until frothy.
- Place the dulce de leche in a microwave-safe cup and heat on HIGH for about 30 seconds or just until thin and slightly pourable.
- Reserve a little of the dulce de leche for the topping.
- Add the hot coffee to the rest and stir to combine. Divide between two cups or glasses.
- Pour the milk into the glasses, dividing it equally.
- Spoon the foam on top, again dividing it equally.
- Drizzle the reserved dulce de leche on the milk foam.
- Serve at once.