Double Chocolate Ice CreamBy
- Ice cream maker
- Place the cocoa powder, coffee granules and two cups of cream in a sauce pan.
- Over medium heat, with constant stirring, bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the remaining cream and milk, stir and cook until simmering.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg yolks and sugar until light-colored and smooth.
- Temper the egg yolks. Pour about a third of the cream mixture slowly into the egg mixture, stirring briskly as you pour.
- Pour the tempered egg yolks into the saucepan and mix.
- Set the pan on the stove once more and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the cooked custard into a bowl and place a sheet of cling film directly over the entire surface. This prevents the formation of skin.
- Cool the custard to room temperature then chill in the fridge for six hours.
- Scrape the custard into the ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer's direction until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add the chocolate shards and salt during the last five minutes of processing.
- Serve the double chocolate ice cream immediately (soft serve stage) or freeze for a couple of hours for a firmer ice cream.