For someone who’s never been a fan of vegetable-only salads, the addition of a generous amount of protein — homecooked corned beef in this case — leaves me craving for more.
This corned beef is home cured and homecooked. You may use store-bought, of course, but not canned. If canned corned beef is what you have or what you have access to, you may want to see my corned beef and potato omelette pie recipe.
Now, what about the dressing? I really have a special preference for fruity dressings so I made a special one for this salad. A mango-based dressing. Really lovely.
Corned Beef and Vegetable SaladRecipe by
- 2 tablespoons mango syrup (see notes after the recipe)
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon plain yellow mustard
- 1 generous pinch ginger powder or a small pinch of grated fresh ginger
- 4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- ½ cup fully cooked corned beef (homecooked or store bought) at room temperature, cubed
- 2 to 3 cups salad vegetables cut according to desired size and shape
- ½ cup herbed croutons
- In a bowl, whisk together the mango syrup, lime juice, mustard and ginger powder.
- Add the olive oil while whisking, drop by drop at first then in a thin stream. Use just enough olive oil to reach the consistency that you prefer.
- Season the dressing with just enough salt and pepper to create a good balance.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together all the salad ingredients with two tablespoons of dressing.
- Divide the corned beef and vegetable salad among four bowls (or two bowls if serving as a main course salad) and drizzle in more dressing.
- Serve at once.