- 1 ¼ cups cake flour plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup nonpareils (sprinkles)
- Line a 12-hole muffin / cupcake pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (325F if using dark-colored pan).
- Sift together the flour and salt.
- Beat the oil and sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
- Add the a third of the flour and mix.
- Add half of the buttermilk and mix.
- Add another third of the flour, then the remaining half of the buttermilk and, finally, the last third of the flour, mixing after each addition.
- If using vanilla extract, stir it in.
- Mix together the baking soda and vinegar (it will fizzle).
- Add to the cake batter and mix in.
- Add the sprinkles to the batter and stir in.
- Divide the batter among the 12 holes of the pan.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a rack and cool the cupcakes completely before removing them.