Coffee Ice CreamBy
- Ice cream maker
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar plus two tablespoons
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 heaping tablespoons good quality instant coffee (I used Nescafe Gold)
- 2 cups heavy cream chilled
- 200 grams dark chocolate chopped
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Pour the milk into a pan.
- Stir in the coffee granules.
- Scald the mixture.
- Pour half of the coffee-milk mixture, tablespoonful by tablespoonful, into the egg yolks, beating as you pour to temper the egg yolks.
- Pour the egg yolk into the pan with the other half of the coffee-milk mixture and heat gently, stirring, until thickened and the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Turn off the heat, transfer the mixture to a container.
- Press a sheet of cling film on the surface to prevent skin formation.
- Cool to room temperature, cover and chill for six hours.
- When the custard is well chilled, fold in the cream.
- Pour into the ice cream machine and process per manufacturer’s directions.
- Add the chopped chocolate during the last five minutes of processing so that the pieces get evenly distributed.
- Serve immediately at soft-serve stage or transfer to a covered container and freeze for a few hours for a firmer coffee ice cream.