Sorbet is frozen fruit juice or water sweetened with fruit flavor. Unlike sherbet, sorbet has no dairy ingredient.
In this recipe, fresh coconut water is combined with the syrup from a can of lychees. Tender coconut meat and lychees are cut into small pieces and thrown in. Because there is neither milk nor cream in this frozen dessert, it is a sorbet and not a sherbet.
Coconut and Lychee Sorbet
- Ice cream maker
- meat from 2 young coconuts (see notes after the recipe)
- 1 227-gram can lychees drained with the syrup reserved
- juice from 2 young coconuts about two cups
- 4 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- Cut the coconut meat into small pieces.
- Do the same with the lychees.
- Pour the coconut juice into the blender.
- Add the sugar, coconut meat and lychees.
- Pulse, or process, depending on how fine or coarse you want the coconut meat and lychees.
- Mix with the lychee syrup and chill for six hours.
- Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- To serve, scoop as you would your ice cream.
- Top with fresh mint leaves, if you like.